Updated: Jul 11
Hamilton County R3Source is proud to present “Wasted Food Stops with Us” Day on Wednesday, April 27 with a variety of events to celebrates the value of food as a resource that should be enjoyed, shared, and donated to reduce food being landfilled. (The typical American family spends $1,500 per year on food that is thrown out.)
Breakfast Time: 7 a.m. – 10 a.m.
The day kicks off in OTR (1814 Race Street) where people will learn about local non-profits and businesses while they enjoy their morning cup of joe:
· Deeper Roots Coffee*, will show how they work to reduce waste through recycling, reuse, and composting.
· Our Daily Bread Soup Kitchen and Social Center will discuss their efforts to recover local food and provide nutritious meals to those in need.
· Findlay Market will discuss how they compost their on-site waste.
· The Civic Garden Center will share ways people can learn to be self-sustainable through gardening and composting.
· The City of Cincinnati will talk about their partnership with the NRDC and how food waste will fit into the Green Cincinnati Plan.
In partnership with Hamilton County R3Source, LaSoupe is hosting a field trip for a group of high school students to learn about innovative food recovery efforts and highlight how to combat food waste in our community.
Lunch Time: 12 p.m.
The lunchtime hour features a virtual symposium on “Food Recovery and Community Health” where attendees can learn more from local professionals including WeThrive!, Green Umbrella, Last Mile Food Rescue, and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). Interested individuals may register at https://bit.ly/3iUBZJM.
Happy Hour: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Wasted Food Stops with Us Day wraps up at High Grain Brewery* (6860 Plainfield Road, Silverton) where folks can grab a drink, network, and find out how to part of Greater Cincinnati’s food recovery community. Proceeds will benefit the Caring Place, a local food pantry that serves the Silverton/Pleasant Ridge area.
To learn more about the issue of food waste, visit WastedFoodStopsWithUs.org. Hamilton County R3Source’s Food Waste Diversion Coordinator Tony Staubach can be available for interview on and before April 27; contact Joy Landry with requests.
Join our Facebook Event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1001319434091072/?ref=newsfeed
*513 Green Workplace Certified businesses