Updated: Jul 11
Beans, beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more sugar your body processes and turns into carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane!
Beans are part of the legume family. They grow in pods, are high in protein, and grow on every continent except Antarctica.
If you’ve ever grown beans, you know that they are one of the most prolific producers and easiest food products to preserve.
How Do I Dry Beans?
“One method of drying out-of-doors is vine drying. To dry beans (navy, kidney, butter, great northern, lima, lentils and soybeans) leave bean pods on the vine in the garden until the beans inside rattle. When the vines and pods are dry and shriveled, pick the beans and shell them. No pretreatment is necessary. If beans are still moist, the drying process is not complete, and the beans will mold if not more thoroughly dried. If needed, drying can be completed in the sun, oven or a dehydrator.
Like sun-dried fruits, vine-dried beans need treatment to kill insects and their eggs.
1. Freezer Method – Seal the food in freezer-type plastic bags. Place the bags in a freezer set at 0ºF or below and leave them at least 48 hours.
2. Oven Method – Place the food in a single layer on a tray or in a shallow pan. Place in an oven preheated to 160ºF for 30 minutes.”
How Do I Freeze Beans?
Green, Snap, or Wax Beans are easy to freeze.
“Preparation – Select young tender pods when the seed is first formed. Wash in cold water, snip and cut into 2 to 4-inch lengths.
Water blanch 3 minutes. Cool promptly, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.”
How Do I Make White Bean Hummus?
· 2 Cups Rinsed White Beans
o If using dried beans, you’ll need to prepare/boil the beans first
· 2 Tablespoons Tahini
· Juice of 1 Lime
· 1 Clove Minced Garlic
· 2 tsp. Salt
· ¼ tsp. Cumin
· Water (if needed)
1. Place ingredients in a blender or food processor (except water).
2. Blend (if it is too thick, add water).
3. Add spice and salt to taste.
4. Serve fresh or chilled.