A tasty snack, an energy packed drink, dried as raisins, or transformed into gummy treats - thanks to the growers from the National Grape Cooperative Association, grapes have become ubiquitous with childhood in America.
Are Grapes Healthy?
According to the Cleveland Clinic, grapes are powered with Vitamin C and antioxidants which can help improve your immune system and prevent cancer. Additionally, grapes are low in sodium, so they help keep your blood pressure low. Although grapes are high in sugar, they are also high in fiber, making grapes an okay choice for people on a low glycemic diet.
Refrigerate in a perforated plastic bag in a crisper drawer on high humidity for two weeks - but grapes are best when eaten within 2-3 days of purchase. Wash just before use.
Although the consistency changes, freezing grapes is an easy way to store them longer. Remove from the stem, sort, and wash. Leave seedless grapes whole; cut grapes with seeds in half and remove seeds. Freeze raw for a quick snack throughout the week or place grapes in a freezer safe container, cover with cold syrup, seal and freeze for long term storage.
Can I Cook with Grapes?
Yes! Grapes are a fun and sweet topping on dishes! Far from just a children’s treat, roasted grapes can turn a side dish into a center piece. Roasted grapes are great on pizza or sweet potatoes. How do you roast grapes? It’s incredibly easy!
Roasted Grape Sweet Potato:
· 4 Sweet Potatoes
· 4 oz Goat Cheese
· 2 Cups Grapes
· 1 Tablespoon High Heat Oil (Grapeseed, Avocado, or Vegetable Oil)
· Salt to Taste
Directions Sweet Potato:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a center rack for 45 minutes.
3. Remove when soft and set aside to cool.
Directions Roasted Grapes:
1. Turn oven up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove grapes from vine and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
3. Cover in Oil and salt.
4. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the grapes begin to burst, shrink in size or their skin starts to bubble.
5. Remove from the oven and cool.
Finish The Dish:
1. Split open sweet potatoes.
2. Top with goat cheese and roasted grapes.
 (Cleveland Clinic, 2021)